Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Plantable Homemade Paper

   I have to warn you today's posting is a long one so fill up your coffee cup and visit for awhile.   I have been busy planning Rena's wedding shower (my son's bride-to-be). 

    We decided everyone should go home with a little something to say THANK YOU.  Since we are on a budget and we have 100 people coming to the shower it had to be cheap but not cheap if you get my drift. 


  While I was looking up gifts to buy on a web site I saw something like these to purchase at $1.49 each. I thought I could make these and for a lot less then $1.49 each. So I went for it !! I came up with these homemade plantable hearts for everyone to take home and plant . This is the first time I've made plantable paper.  It was a BLAST!!!  You all need to try this it was so much fun and you recycle all the junk mail.  Yeah!

Your comments would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know what you think of this small token of thanks for our guests.    
This is the finished gift everyone will go home with. 
You start with your junk mail. I added some pink
construction paper to add color. (after the fact I
read you need to add RED paper to make it pink) 


I shredded the junk mail and added water. Let it soak for 45 minutes. 

I then blended the paper until it became a mushy paste and poured it into a pan.  

Since I was making such a large amount of paper I used an EXTRA large container.  

Add the flower seeds.  Herbs seeds are also great to use. 
 Using a window screen I found in my garage (You can make a screen
 using picture frames from the dollar store and window screen or cheese cloth)
I dipped the screen into the pan and lifted out some of the pulp allowing the excess
water to drip off.  Place the screen onto a towel and gently place a second towel on top
 of it.  Carefully flip it over and place back onto the counter. 

Remove the towel on top and with a dry towel press firmly down on the
 top of the screen to remove as much excess water as possible.

Left the frame and remove the seeded paper. 

Let it dry over night.  
Here is the paper dried and being cut into heart shapes. 



I typed up the saying, printed them onto pink CS, cut them into the squares;
 stamped the green leaves and attached the hearts. 

I googled  "Wedding sayings" and decided to use this one:
"Please plant these flowers & watch them bloom,
just like the LOVE of the bride and groom" 

Close up of the seeded heart paper. 
This is the paper I had left over so I can make other cards and shapes.  
I will also plant the scrap pieces in my flower garden.
Thank you so much for sharing your time with me.  Don't forget to leave a comment and let me know what you think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment